To learn how to install a garage door roller in Essex County can be a rewarding experience. Hiring a contractor could cost you hundreds of dollars. Learning to install your own garage door roller is an important skill as a homeowner. If you have never done this type of work before, it is recommended you first work with someone who has done it before.
Before you try to install the garage door rollers yourself, ensure you have a buddy with you. You must also have the following tools and materials:
- A set of new Garage Door Rollers
- A clamp
- A pair of pliers
- A large flat head screwdriver
- A pry bar
- A helper
- Open the garage door completely
- Put a clamp on the track around ⅔ way up the opening of the door.
- Pull the attached-release rope to release power opener and the garage door.
- Unplug the garage-door-opener for added safety.
- Use your pliers to slightly bend open the track.
- Line-up the first roller and the opening. Using a flat head screwdriver, wedge it between the track and the roller. Then pull the roller from the track. Remove the old roller.
- Slide in the new roller and insert it into the track.
- Roll down the door to the next door roller and repeat this procedure for replacing and removing the rollers.
- After replacing the bottom four rollers, you will notice that you will be unable to replace the top one. This is because it will not line up with the track opening. Now bend the track into alignment and roll the door all to the open position.
- Bend in a portion of the track located in the middle of the overhead section.
- Ensure you have a helper spotting the door. Otherwise it may slip out from the track and hit you on the head. There are tutorials available if you do not have an assistant. You will be required to use a 2×4 clamp on the track if you do not have a helper.
- Pry out the last remaining roller and replace it with a new one. Using your pliers once again, bend in the track into shape.
- Now remove the clamping mechanism from the track. Plug in the door opener. Re-affix the door onto the garage door opener by pressing down the button which controls the operations of your garage door. This is typically located on the wall of the garage. The door should’ve automatically reattached to the opener.
- Close the garage door and look out for any misalignment on the track.
- If you must adjust the tracks again, start by loosening the bolts of the side of the track and then realign the track. Use a pry bar if necessary to gain some leverage in moving the track in small increments.
- Tighten up all the remaining bolts. Ensure that all the bolts and screws of the track are tight. This is because the door’s vibration causes it shake and loosen over time.
If you are not sure and don’t want to get into the hassles of DIY and repairing the garage door, then it is advisable to take help from the local garage door repair in Essex County. The professionals from these companies ensure perfect repairs and also garage door maintenance grease.