As a homeowner, learning how to fix things around the house such as how to fix a garage door spring in Passaic County is a vital skill set. There are many tools and resources out there that can help you do this.
Typically, there are two types of garage door springs: side-mounted and torsion. Torsion spring is affixed to the fixed metal-shaft that is located parallel and above the frame of the garage door frame. The spring will extend alongside the shaft. As the garage door opens and shuts, the springs twist. The tension makes opening the garage door from a closed position easier.
Side mounted spring are long and heavy. They are mounted on either side of the upper-garage door track. Via a system of the pulleys, it performs similar to torsion springs. When the garage door closes, they come into tension, making lifting easier.
If you are new to this project, always remember to replace garage door springs with a set. If one spring is broken, both require replacement because it is just a matter of time before the other will break. If you fail to do this, your garage door will come crashing down on your vehicle. Using an old spring with a new one causes an imbalance which cannot be rectified via spring adjustment.
Having said all that, the following instructions will guide will provide you all the information regarding how to repair garage door spring (side mounted only):
- Release tension on the springs of the garage door before attempting to replace, fix or adjust. First open the garage door completely until it makes contact with a stop-bolt located on the track.
- Hold your garage door on this spot by affixing a C-clamp on the track below the lower door roller. This is the case even if you use a garage door opener. Even if the door is open, it does not mean the spring tension is completely released.
- Use an emergency release-rope to separate opener and the door, and then push up the door away without causing damage to the opener. Then clamp it.
- If safety cables are in place, disconnect them and remove them from the springs.
- Old springs are attached at 2 points. One is affixed to the wooden frame or the garage door track. The other end is attached to the pulley where the door cable is threaded. Disconnect these 2 attachments and then reattach the new springs in a similar fashion. Take care not to twist the door cable when you try to reattach the pulley.
- After disconnecting the pulley away from the spring, do a quick once over. If the pulley bearings wobble or look sloppy, replace them. There are only replacements and no repairs! Also check the steel pulleys.
- After completing all the attachments, test the garage door to make sure it is working before reattaching your safety cables.
The new springs might appear too lively and the door might not shut all the way. If this occurs, check the bare end of your garage door cable to make sure it is attached to the track, then loosen it an inch or so.
Though, to ensure perfection and avoid any mishappening it is best to hire the services of garage door repair services in Passaic County. Before you hire the garage door repair Passaic County ensure that you choose only professional and reliable names.